2007-08-22

Beijing again

Hi there.

Did I mention that I love this city...?

I know what the critics will say, but I don't care. There are bad suburbs in Europe as well.

The day before yesterday I met a Chinese calligrapher in the city. We drank a beer and some tea together. It was nice.
There are always common issues between calligraphers.
He told me a friend of his named his child after Budapest, because he used to work there.
It was very interesting for me to hear a new translation of the name of my country. I thought Xiongyali (Hungary) means "avaricious barbars", my new friend translated it "brave warriors, who are successful in economy". Of course he knew about the Huns (xiong) and like many Chinese he believed that Hungarians are relatives of the Huns.

Here are some boring photos:

(View from my hotel room; communism with visual culture; retaining wall of the Forbidden City; stupid plagiarism)













No comments: